I think I speak for all when I say that the combination of frigid temperatures and mountains of homework has me counting down the days (hours, minutes, and seconds) until SPRING BREAK!! Whether you’re planning a trip to some place sunny or heading home, the week off from classes is the light at the end of the tunnel.
Now, society seems to think that college spring break is synonymous with binge drinking and exotic beaches – but apart from those few party-animals featured on MTV, that is not the reality. For most, spring break is a time to relax and catch up on some much needed sleep! But this year, instead of just becoming one with your coach and developing an intimate relationship with your Netflix account – check out my list of ideas for new things to try during Spring Break:
- Alterative Spring Break
- The United Way of Maryland’s Alternative Spring Option! This awesome volunteer opportunity gives students the chance to participate in a week-long service project to improve access to healthy food and prevent family homelessness right here in Baltimore. http://www.unitedway.org/take-action/alternative-spring-break/
- Fun fact: I was a Girl Scout up until senior year of high school, so I know a thing or two about camping! There are tons of great places to go in and around Maryland; so whether you’re a seasoned GORP-eatin’ pro or a first-timer, Spring Break is the perfect opportunity to reconnect with nature! (**Nota Bene: GORP stands for Good Old Raisins and Peanuts**)
- Road Trip
Another fun fact: I used to make an annual trip from my home in Utah to my grandparents’ house in Connecticut, a grand total of 2,275 miles and 33 hours – so I know a thing or two about road trips too! Road trips are a great opportunity to visit new places, bond with friends (what better way to connect with your buddies than to spend countless hours with them in cramped quarters!?), and sample local cuisine – if you’re a Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives fan like me you can plan your entire trip around the famous eateries visited by Guy Fieri!
Here are some other sites to help kick-start your road-trip plans:
- Be sure to document your memories with this nifty craft
- Read a Book!
Whether you’re on the beach or relaxing at home, Spring Break is the best time to unwind with a great book! Check out this cool site that helps you pick out your next read!
- Pamper Yourself
Enjoy your time off from classes and take this opportunity to treat yo’ self! Manicures, pedicures, the whole 9-yards. Now, I’m not talking about breaking the bank at the spa – no, no all this can be done at home with simple, inexpensive ingredients and tools! Check out these sites for some inspiration:
Use your down time to get crafty! Check out these links for some ideas that are cheap and easy. Just think about how much your roommates will love you when you come back with a cute new decoration for the dorm room!
- Sign Up for a Run!
Whether you’re professional, or just lacing up the sneaks for the first time – signing for and completing a run is a fantastic feeling. The month of March is full of road race opportunities, so check out this calendar
and sign up before time runs out 😉
- Check out these Baltimore runs happening in March:
- Tri to Help Midnight Indoor Triathlon Epilepsy Fundraiser, March 22 at the Meadowbrook Aquatic & Fitness Center
- Kelly’s Dream 5K, March 23 at The Grille at Peerce’s Landing in Phoenix, MD
- Flash Back 5K, March 30 at Goucher College
Look Ahead to April: The Color Run (The Happiest 5K in the World) will be Saturday April 19!
Whatever you end up doing, have a great break, everybody! And if you’ve got some extra special plans that’d you like to brag about, please leave a comment below!
-Madison Boris, intern